Wednesday, June 30, 2010

One Minute Sketches











There has been some discussion about sketches through the weeks and folks looking to improve their time to complete a sketch. There are some tips out there, one I picked up along the way was the "One Minute" sketch. For the life of me I can't remember where I picked up this tip, but it did improve a few things along the way...

One thing it improves is your quickness, you have a short amount of time to make decisions so you have to pick what's important. Another is it helps you weed out the unnecessary stuff, you get down what you want to say and move on. Helps you focus.

What I do is divide my sketchbook page up in to small squares/rectangles, then I take a cooking timer and set if for a minute. Then I sketch what I can until the timer goes off 60 seconds later. I move on the the next rectangle and repeat the process. You get something that looks like the photos above.

These are a great idea as thumb nail sketches too and they really improve your time, especially if you think you don't have enough time to sketch, you'll realize you have more time than you think you do.

You can increase your time to 2 minutes, then 5. It's a great eye/hand training exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment