Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Artist Magazine July/August 2010

I am not finished reading this issue yet but I did just read an article tonight about sketching under the "Brushing up" feature...It's called "Draw once, Crop Often." It talks about the value of doing sketches before you paint. It improves your compositions for your paintings. Then, deviating from the thumbnail sketches that many artists do, this article talks about doing what you see, then cropping them as you go to try to get to the best composition. It's an interesting concept. I always sketch a few thumbnails in my sketchbook first before doing any painting and the best composition in the thumbnail sketches is the winner and gets to be a painting.

I also find that sketching first, then starting a painting, improves the painting and also clears my mind as a prep for painting...I can tune in the right brained side and it clears my head to focus better on painting.

So check out that issue, it also has some pretty good articles on plein air painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment