Monday, October 4, 2010

Adding/preserving whites in a watercolor sketch

Someone commented about using gel pens to add some white to a watercolor. White gel pens can be an artists best friend and have many uses. There are many types and brands. There are Gelly Roll pens, Marvy gel pens...Sakura makes a permanent opaque quick dry pen that you have to shake and then push in the tip to recharge it. I carry these and other colors with me in my sketch bag all the time. They are a fun way to add other details to your sketch. You can pick these up at Michael's or AC Moore.

I have other items in my "arsenal." You can reserve your whites if you plan ahead by using plain old white crayon. This acts as a resist and that will repel the watercolor and save the white of the paper.

I also carry a tube of white gouache in my sketch bag to add whites or other effects. I used to carry Chinese White watercolor, but it didn't give me the same effects as gouache.

I don't carry liquid mask with me as I keep this in the studio, but you could also use liquid mask. The drawbacks are that you have to wait for it to dry, and if you are in a hurry, this isn't a good tool for sketching. I find that gouache, gel pens and white crayon are the quickest tools for when you are on the run.

Have fun and experiment!


No comments:

Post a Comment