Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tonight's sketch evening was....

nice. Because the weather was drizzly, we sketched in the Sayville Starbuck's and it was a very nice Starbucks, too. Plenty of seating.

Susan brought a great book about color theory to show us called Blue and Yellow don't make Green by Michael Wilcox. Being the savvy IPhone user, I found it up on the Northlight site. (thank you Susan!!!)

Here's the link ( I hope it works)

http://www.northlightshop.com/category/s

It's $13.50!

If the link doesn't work, go to www.northlightshop.com and do a search on Michael Wilcox. If you spend $25, the shipping is free. Their prices are pretty good.

Also, on the discussion of color, there's a great site out there that belongs to artist Bruce MacEvoy, who is spending a lot of time rating watercolors. He's testing them for lightfastness and other qualities, sort of like a Consumer Reports for tubes of watercolor. It's a useful reference for pigment identifications too. I've actually used his site when buying certain pigments I am looking for to ensure the manufacturer I was researching was selling the real pigment and not a cheap substitute. It's a pretty good site and he dedicates a lot of time in between painting for this research. His link is:

http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/

I was so impressed with his research that I had to email him to thank him!

No comments:

Post a Comment